Tuesday 21 November 2017

6 year old Tominsin asked a strange question


What's the difference between Earth and the World? I was asked by Tominsin, my nail technician's 6year old daughter.

Easy question, I thought. But I kept stuttering, looking for clear and direct answers. I tried, actually, but I kept using the words interchangeably.

Since right now
Humans only live
Here on Earth,
The two words mean
The same thing
I answered.

But as days passed, I found myself thinking on her question. I looked back at my life and discovered the two words to be vastly different. Earth is the planet we inhabit, yes, but the World is a unique plane of existence to each person. As we become regulars at hair and nail saloons, churches and fellowship centres, restaurants and coffee shops, hangout spots, grocery stores and neighborhood markets; as we plant roots, build connections, find love, and birth babies, the World quickly becomes Our World; mini colonies.

I have found that certain worlds can become as narrow as hallways; and these passages I walk through, the worlds I know, can begin to feel constrictive.

The truth is, I've outgrown many worlds on planet Earth, only to begin again. Earth provides the air we need to fill our lungs, but our Worlds give us every reason to breathe deep. We must be mindful not to take anything for granted on the exhale. We must be stewards of the Worlds we inevitably build around ourselves.

So when next I find myself sitting next to Tomi who would always scoot over to my side of the table as her mom does my manicure, I would find the words, to make clear to her six-year old brain, the difference between the planet and her world. I hope to plant some seeds in her young mind on the laws of personal responsibility, accountability, association and consequence.

I recall such wise words like:
He who walks with the wise shall be wise.
Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are.
Scriptures like Psalms 1 and the likes.
Her young mind should be able to chew on these ones atleast.

No comments:

Post a Comment